Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It is getting colder here most of the time, but every so often, like last weekend, we will have one day of -13 and the next hovering around 0 causing it to feel comparably warmer. This weekend, however, I will be going to Calgary where it is supposed to be +8. These mountains do all sorts of odd things to the weather, when a place less than two hours away is over 10 degrees warmer.

Work is going well. We recently got an enormous new Apple server to host our iTunes U stuff. It was doing its set-up thing all day yesterday and was only about halfway through the process when I left at 9pm.

My own computer that has seen me through the past four years of university is beginning to die, alas. And computer repair out here is abominable - you have to call the guys in Canmore to come over and pick it up, and then they will take it to Canmore and look at it and call you back within a week and overcharge you like crazy. I have had a roommate and a coworker go through this process and would like to avoid it, myself, so I ordered a shiny new computer this morning! They won't ship to PO boxes so it's going to my parents' and I'll pick it up at Christmas. It will, unfortunately, be running Vista, but one of the work-studies for the archives recently got a new computer and fixed it up so it looks like it's running XP, which is my preferred version of Windows as well, so I will be doing that.

The real reason for this post was to share one of the cooler things that happens at night here. The coyotes start to howl most evenings as the train goes through, blowing its whistle. I wanted to get the train whistle in there, too, because it sounds awesome with the echo in the valley here, but they're freight trains and don't seem to run on any sort of discernable schedule.



Sorry that's there's nothing to see in the video - it's the view out my window around 10:30 at night these days, which means it is black. And I don't have any sort of program that will extract the audio from the video. But the coyotes are cool!

No comments: